Thursday, August 21, 2008

Extreme Makeover - Bathroom Edition










Hi all...

Kendra's coaching me (Jim) on this. Funny, I'm on the computer all day, but she and Meghan are the ones who are operating in the 21st century when it comes to technology. Anyway, I wanted to post a couple of pictures showing what I working on while everyone was away in Colorado.




Earlier this year, we noticed some tiles in the shower beginning to push out from the wall and an ever growing loss of grout. In order to tear out the tile and fix the problem, we'd have to sacrifice the use of the 2nd bathroom for at least a week, probably 2. When Kendra began planning her trip and my vacation time not enough to join them, I decided to use my solitary time to fix our problem.





Well, once the tile came off, I found lots of mold, which required structural demolition. Also, our sinks were breaking and showing rust in the bowls. Of course, the new tile didn't match the tile our counter top was covered with, and the old tub just didn't look right with all the new stuff...you probably have guessed that one thing led to another and when it was all done with, the tile was replaced, the sinks and countertop was replaced, and the tub was replaced. To bring it up to today's designs, we also removed the old '80s looking mirror and bar-light over the vanity and replaced with something more stylish (the light fixture cost only $5). Since more was done than originally planned and because of some poor measuring on my part, we encountered some delays and my 2 week project turned into 3 1/2. I'm very happy with it, however. The shower is bigger and now has a light over it so it doesn't feel like you're in the dark, the tub is deeper with jacuzzi jets, the counter no longer has grout to constantly clean, and everything that was bad before has been repaired. I sure pays to work for a General Contractor some times. Kendra picked out a fantastic looking tile, too.


2 comments:

Kevin and Neysa Rummmler said...

Jim,
You do GREAT work! I love your new master bath. It really looks nice.--Neysa

Porters said...

Wow, looks just like a bathroom from a magazine! Great work.